A Summer Efficiency Checklist For Your Home
Finding yourself with some newfound time as we work our way through the last weeks of our COVID spring? Why not give yourself some home projects to tackle.
Here’s a checklist to help you get a handle on what needs to be done to keep your western NC home comfortable and running efficiently in the coming weeks.
Water Heater Efficiency
- Close vents in unused rooms to reduce energy use
- Clear obstructions from vents to keep air moving
- Check your A/C air filter once a month, changing or cleaning it as necessary
- Keep doors closed between conditioned and unconditioned spaces; check and replace seals around interior doors to keep conditioned air from escaping
- Check door sweeps to make sure they are blocking drafts and keeping conditioned air inside your home. If you don’t have door sweeps, consider installing them.
- Check caulking on window frames to prevent conditioned air from escaping
- Clear window tracks so windows seal properly
Efficiency With Window Treatments
- If you have a whole house generator, have it professionally serviced; if you can’t, at least test run it to be sure everything is in working order.
- Schedule a propane delivery in preparation of severe summer weather and hurricane season; make sure you have enough propane to last at least one week in the event of a power outage
Heating System Efficiency
- Consider scheduling a heating system tune-up to avoid the fall rush
Cooling System Efficiency
- Clear debris from your outdoor condenser unit
- Test run your cooling system to check for any obvious problems
- Schedule professional service before the hottest days arrive
- Test all alarms – smoke, CO, radon detectors, etc., replacing batteries if needed
Fireplace / Wood Stove Efficiency
- Close the damper to prevent heat from entering through the chimney
- Schedule maintenance for your propane fireplace
- Schedule a chimney inspection for your wood-burning fireplace to prevent hazards related to creosote buildup
Need a propane delivery or propane appliance installation in western North Carolina? We can help. Contact James Oxygen today to schedule a service appointment and get your equipment back on top of its game.
Please note: At James Oxygen, your safety and comfort are always our priority. Please see our COVID-19 Service Update Page to learn more about how we are working to keep our your family and our crews safe and your propane deliveries coming during this challenging time.